Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fennel is a Flowin'

Fennel bulbs were among the share of vegetables in our most recent CSA share, and what's one to do with fennel?

I had only used fennel  once, in a an apple, pork chop roast that was quite delicious.  After googling fennel recipes and uses, I decided on a rendition of Fennel Rice Soup. Given our 90 degree plus weather here in Boston, why not? I apologize for the lack of photos but Fennel Rice Soup is entirely un photogenic. However, its bland appearance and color scheme doesn't do justice to this powerful flavor.

First I boiled 5 cups of chicken broth with the following:
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. crushed peppercorns
- 1 tsp. crushed fennel seeds

While the broth was infusing, I sauteed two diced onions and 2 diced fennel bulbs in some olive oil and then added the barley. Since I was out of white wine I improvised by mixing some leftover stock with a 1/4 cup of champagne vinegar, added the mixture to the rice/onion/fennel and cooked until the liquid was absorbed.

I strained out the seeds (left the garlic though...mmm) and poured the broth in. After a 20 min simmert his pot was ready to go. The infused broth made this light soup taste richer, while the champagne vinegar  provided a lemony taste.

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment